Instead of abortion, birth control, the war on religion, socialist take overs of the US, class warfare, investigations into the President's birth, mandatory prison sentences, pulling out of support for Public Radio, and the war on drugs, this is what Congress should be discussing:
· 1) The conflict of interest between representing the needs of people of the district and representing the interests of those who give generously to finance campaigns for election or reelection.
· 2) Ways to prevent big dollar tax avoiders pay their share of taxes instead of hiding them in foreign banks, secret accounts, and loopholes placed by Congressional representatives at the suggestion of lobbyists.
· 3) Ways to prevent self-serving gerrymandered districts that victimize whichever party is not in power in that State. There are ways to make them balanced and not based on race or economic status.
· 4) Ways to prevent states from making it difficult, if not impossible for US citizens to vote in elections.
· 5) Shifting some of the money given to defense to rebuilding and repairing the nation’s infrastructure of ports, railways, airports, canals, dams, electric grid, roads, and bridges.
· 6) Giving the same tax breaks, subsidies, and start up benefits to the non-fossil fuel, non-polluting energy efforts using wind, sun, tides, and geothermal energy.
· 7) Making sure that every person in the US has access to health care equivalent to that given to our Congressional representatives and military members.
· 8) Federal regulation of those industries that pollute our rivers and lakes, deplete our resources, endanger our environments, or diminish our national parks.
· 9) Federal regulation of those industries whose products may endanger the health of those users of products that may contain carcinogens, mutagens, toxins, and teratogens.
· 10) Finding ways to employ those laid off from work so they can support a family.
· 11) What should be an adult minimum wage? Why is this exempt from cost of living annual changes?
· 12) Why does our military budget greatly exceed all other nations? Is it inflated beyond reasonable costs of manufacture and testing?
· 13) Why are health costs in the US far greater than any other country? Are hospital costs and medical and pharmaceutical costs inflated beyond reasonable costs of production and care?
· 14) What should be done to address the long term prospects that people are living longer after retirement. Should benefits be graduated based on age of retirement? Should Social Security taxes be extended past income caps that are highly beneficial to those who least need social security?
115) What measures should Congress initiate to protect coastal cities at or near sea level from being inundated in the coming decades by rising sea levels (it does not matter whether the cause was human energy use or natural cycles).